Berberine is an active constituent of many plants including Phellodendron amurense root. Berberine activates adenosine monophosphate kinase (AMPK). AMPK is activated through various mechanisms including exercise to support glucose metabolism via an insulin-independent mechanism. Berberine has been the subject of human, randomized placebo-controlled trials.
These plants have been used in traditional Chinese and other herbal medicine systems for centuries. More recent characterization and isolation of the main active constituent, berberine, has led to the development of this Berberine hydrochloride supplement. Each capsule contains 500 mg berberine hcl.
Berberine supports healthy:
- blood sugar metabolism and insulin metabolism*
- metabolic function*
- cardiovascular function and lipid metabolism*
- insulin receptor expression, with direct impact on supporting healthy glucose metabolism*
- regulation of glycation*
Clinical studies demonstrate that berberine supports healthy lipid metabolism and cholesterol homeostasis.*1-6 Berberine can activate an important metabolic enzyme known as adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK), a central regulator of cellular energy homeostasis.* Mechanistic research in vitro and in vivo suggests that berberine can decrease cholesterol and triglyceride synthesis by activating AMPK.7-9&
In addition to supporting lipid metabolism, berberine supports healthy glucose metabolism and blood sugar management already within a normal range.*2-5 Mechanistic research in vitro suggests that berberine can support healthy glucose regulation through promoting glucose uptake in cells via GLUT4 translocation.7
- Kong W et al. Nat Med. 2004;10(12):1344-51.
- Yin J et al. Metabolism. 2008;57(5):712-7.
- Zhang Y et al. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93(7):2559-2565.
- Yang J et al. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:363845.
- Perez-Rubio K et al. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2013;11(5):366-9.
- Cao C et al. Exp Ther Med. 2019;17(4):3009-3014.
- Lee YS et al. Diabetes. 2006;55:2256-64.
- Brusq JM et al. J Lipid Res. 2006;47(6):1281-8.
- Jiang D et al. Lipids Health Dis. 2016;15:214.
Take 1 capsule two to three times daily, or as recommended by your healthcare professional.